Thursday, May 6, 2010

Unglamorous topic

Statistics:
Distance: 4 miles
Time: 41:11

Stats/Track map


Observations:

Good run, yada yada. Chilly, yada yada. Progress, yada yada.

OK, now that that's out of the way, I'm going to talk about a topic that is not pretty, but present nonetheless. Snot. Where the crap is it all coming from?!? (yes, my nose, I know). When I run, it's like my nose knows and it decides to run, too. I don't know if it's the increased breathing I'm doing through my nose, or increased heart rate that brings more fluid to the mucus glands, or increased internal temperature, or WHAT, but damn, I wish it would slow down. I'm going to have to start carrying kleenex.

Otherwise a good run. If you check the map link, it says I only did 3.85 miles, but that's incorrect. I did a route with more turns than normal, so the GPS clipped the corners. I've established that each lap is exactly 2 miles, so I did 4 miles, and my pace was about 10:17 per mile, which feels good. I'm still getting used to that general level of discomfort and coming to terms that I'm going to have to put up with it for longer and longer amounts of time.

However, I did do something today that should help. I joined a running group. The Chicago Endurance Sports group, CES, is a training group that works with people for distance running. My friend Jessica has been running with them since last year and she really likes the group. They do both marathon and half-marathon training, and so I joined a training program specifically designed for completing both the Rock & Roll Half-Marathon and the Chicago Half-Marathon. I'm going to be getting an individually-tailored training plan. I'll be going on two group runs per week (plus normal solo runs). I'll have coaches to talk to and ask questions of. I think it's going to really be helpful. Plus there's the social aspect of it. It'll be nice to meet some new people. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but I'll be getting a lot out of it, so I feel like it's worth it.

Orientation is Saturday morning, so I'll know more about my training plan then. Oh, yeah, that reminds me...the Saturday morning group runs start at 6:30 AM. I know, right? Me waking up early...to run. Hah!


Next:

Saturday - 8 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment