Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Timing

Statistics:
Distance: 4 miles
Time: 42:15

Stats/Track map


Observations:

I debated whether or not I should run today or wait until tomorrow. My training schedule does allow for adjustments like that. The main reason I considered waiting was that I was feeling a little twinge in my left ankle from my run Monday or Saturday or both. Running tomorrow would have given me two days of recovery since my last run, but then would give me only one day of recovery before my 5-miler on Saturday morning. That, plus the weather says it's supposed to storm all tomorrow. Actually, it was also supposed to storm tonight, but that hasn't happened yet. Anyway, I decided to go today and then give my legs two days to rest until Saturday.

I didn't do the cross-training yesterday, but my training program does allow for me to take a rest day instead of cross-training. Since I'd been pushing my long run distance lately, my legs have needed more recovery, and so I am electing not to cross-train this week. I'll decide what to do next week once I get to talk to a coach on Saturday.

My big question for them is how far I should be running. I'd been working on increasing my endurance so I can complete the Soldier Field 10-miler on the 29th, but my training program only calls for 5 and 6-mile long runs between now and then. So I want to ask if I should increase those long runs to better prepare for Soldier Field. If I do that, I may go with rest days instead of cross-training. But like I said, I'll wait on that until I talk to my coach on Saturday.

Oh yeah, so my run tonight. 4 miles. the only remarkable thing was that my lower legs got really tight on mile 3. By outer shins and calf muscles just felt tight with a little burning (lactic acid build-up I think). They felt better during mile 4, and they felt pretty normal on my warm-down and post-run stretch. Still, not pleasant on an otherwise good run.

And it's starting to rain now. Good timing!


Next:
Saturday - 5 miles - my first group run! Looking forward to it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment