Thursday, April 15, 2010

Woohoo, 6 miles!

Statistics:
Distance: 6 miles
Time: 1:13:16

Stats/Track map


Observations:

Well, let's start with the main observation: I ran 6 miles! This is the longest distance I've ever run in my life! :) I've walked 6 miles before (probably farther) but never run that far. So yay! I'm also happy because this is the first tangible proof that I'm getting better and that my body is developing the running muscles and endurance that I want it to. A couple weeks ago, I was pretty wiped out after 5 miles. Tonight after completing 6 miles, I still felt like I had reserves, and that fact is very reassuring!

If you look at the map, it might be confusing, but it's basically 3 laps of a 2-mile track. The outer square is 2 miles, but I vary it up by taking side streets, making the cross shape. The distance comes out the same, but it's a little less monotonous. That makes it a bit easier to have regular, shorter goals to get to. Also you may see that some of the corners are a bit tapered/clipped because my GPS is having to interpolate where I went if it has a weak signal. That causes it to slightly underestimate the distance I ran, and probably added a couple tenths of a mile by the time I got to the last lap. Just to be safe, I added a little tail to my third lap so that I'd come out at 6 miles at the end.

Not much more to say, really. The weather was perfect! The sun had gone down, and the temp was in the 70's with a slight breeze. Very nice.


Street Shout-out:

Shout-out to Charlotte, the spider, who decided to try to spin a web across the sidewalk on Ashland. Or maybe she was trying to weave me a finish line, which would be really sweet of her and quite astounding for an arachnid. In any case, running through a cobweb is not pleasant at any time.


Next:

Gonna play this one by ear and see how my legs feel after a couple days. I'm sure they'll be somewhat sore tomorrow and Saturday. Perhaps 4 miles on Sunday.

1 comment: