Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back on track!

Statistics:
Distance: 4 miles
Time: 45:58

Stats/Track map

Observations:

Man, it felt good to get back out and running. This was kind of a put up or shut up day. After a not-so-good week as far as running was concerned, I felt like putting this run off until Monday would have been a mental slip on my part. The long and the short of it was that after the weirdness on Monday, I was less certain of where I was in my conditioning. If I was winded after 1 mile, what did that mean? And then I noticed slight but present twinges in my knees when I'd walk down stairs at work. Nothing that I'd call pain, but enough that I wanted it to go away before I ran again. Because my schedule was so busy last week, Thursday would have been the next day I could have run. But as you may have read, the weather was really ugly, and I decided not to run. I was booked up Friday night, and I had work on Saturday, which left today as my first opportunity to get back on the streets. I wanted to do something today since any delay would have been an excuse at this point.

I started out on this course, which is a 2-mile lap course I came up with. I called it the Swiss 4-mile (bonus points for the first person to figure out why I called it that). Anyway, When I started tonight I actually hadn't yet decided if I was going to do 4 miles or 6. Since it's a 2-mile course, I thought I might play it by ear and do a third lap if I was feeling saucy.

Here's what happened. I wanted to pay special attention to my pace, so I decided to run without my iPod. No music, just the rhythm of my shoes on the pavement and my breathing. I feel like that helped me keep aware of not going too fast too soon. I felt good at the 1-mile mark - much better than on Monday at the same place. As you can see on the stat page, I did the first mile in about 10:30. At 2 miles, I was at an 11:00 per mile pace. I'd slowed down a bit, but I felt good and sustainable. At mile 3 my pace had slowed again by about another 45 seconds, but I felt fine, and at the 4-mile mark I'd slowed again, but still felt fine.

At that point I felt like I could easily have done another 2 miles. I wasn't breathing any more labored, and my legs felt no worse than the 2-mile mark. Knowing I could have gone 2 more miles was enough for today. It meant that stopping at 4 miles was a conscious decision to avoid injury and not a cop-out because I was tired. So I stopped there and feel good about the run. Not thrilled at the slowdown in pace, but I do think that there is a bit of inaccuracy with the GPS that accounts for some of it. Next time I'll pay a bit more attention to my pace throughout and try to stay a bit more consistent. All in all, it felt really good to have run today and I do feel back on track after overcoming a physical and mental hurdle of last week's inactivity.


Street Shout-out:

Shout-out to my mom, who called my phone right around mile 2 to talk about airline miles and to tell me not to overdo it. ;)


Track List:

No track list tonight. Just me and the road. I may keep it like this just because it helped me focus, mentally a bit tonight. It did feel nice to know that I could run without needing music to distract me. The time actually passed pretty quickly. That's a good sign!


Next:

Thursday - 6 miles

By the way, I am redoing my schedule based on the last few weeks. Cutting down to 3 days a week to give my legs more time to rest in between runs. I think that will do more good for me long term than the extra miles on the 4th day.

1 comment:

  1. Make sure you incorporate some cross training during your non running days. Or take one of those running days as a strength training day. Strengthening your quads will help the knees. Also core training helps too. I've been bad about doing cross training but it does make a difference.

    Also don't beat yourself up. They say to only increase no more than once a week which is considered your "long run". And for longer runs, you should be going slower than your race pace. You have to first get your body used to the mileage before you can pick up the pace.

    You're doing great Chip. I have had numerous runs where doing two miles feels like 80. It happens but listening to your body and taking an extra rest day like your doing is what they say you should do. Better to take an extra day than to be laid up for weeks because of an injury.

    Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete