Thursday, April 1, 2010

That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit

Statistics:
Distance: 5 miles
Time: 56:06

Course Map/Stats


Observations:

Did I say July was when I was going to wish for an easy 4-mile run in the cool air? Well, I underestimated that by a few months...what a difference 40 degrees makes! This was definitely more of a challenge than the Shamrock Shuffle. No fellow runners, no cheering crowds, no water stations, and lots hotter! Also, windy, but not in a good way. I experienced two conditions. Running against the wind, which feels like running uphill. Or Running with the wind, which feels like a cloud of dead hot air that hangs around you. Neither is exactly pleasant.

I had a lot more difficulty regulating my pace on this run. I had a decent idea in my mind where the mile markers were, and checking my GPS at mile 1 I was at a 9:45 pace. Not good! That was not a pace I'd be able to keep up, and I didn't want to burn out my legs after two miles. So I ran my second mile at what I felt was a slower pace and managed to get it to a 10:45 split, which is about on target for what I wanted. But the last three miles were all slower - 11:59, 11:27, and 12:11. I think that's attributable to a couple factors, namely the fast first mile and the heat.

I had to take two short walk breaks for about 100 feet - one around mile 3 and the other at about mile 4. I had purchased a bottle that straps to my waist with a belt, so I was able to carry fluids with me, and drank some Gatorade while I took the two walk breaks.

Honestly, the hardest part was the first mile and a half, as far as how my legs felt. I was concerned with how I was going to be able to finish at that point, but after I found the slower pace I was looking for in the first place, it wasn't too bad.

OK, I've got 8 weeks to go twice that distance. I'm trying not to think too much about that right now. I don't think it's productive. I'm trying to focus on the concept that my legs are getting stronger with every run and learning how to burn fuel more efficiently. Keep me thinking positive, people, I could use the help!


Street Shout-out:

Shout-out to the cute girl in the Shamrock Shuffle t-shirt (the same one I was wearing)


Track List:
Turn to Stone - Electrical Light Orchestra
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
Dead! - My Chemical Romance
Underground - Ben Folds Five
Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC
I Know - Save Ferris
Misirlou - Dick Dale
Groove is in the Heart - Deee-Lite
Sure-Bla-Di Shot-Bla-Da - The Beastles
Come Sail Away - Eric Cartman (South Park Cover)
First Push - Little Miss Sunshine Soundtrack
Yeah Yeah Yeah Song - The Flaming Lips
Fuel - Metallica
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Golden Years - David Bowie
Larger Than Life - Backstreet Boys
(warmdown)
Anyone Seen the Bridge - Dave Matthews Band
Come On Eileen - Save Ferris
Elevation - U2
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai



Next:
Saturday - 3 miles

2 comments:

  1. You can do it, Chip! And if you are lucky "it" equals "that girl."

    Sorry, that was crass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't beat yourself up too much. It does take a few runs to get used to the heat. I know it's not that warm yet but this huge jump in the temp can take some getting used to.

    Also you are spot on. Once you blow your energy too fast in the beginning you can never get it back. If you are even 10 seconds faster in pace, it can totally kill your longer runs.

    Don't worry about the mileage. You'll be surprised how easy it will be to tack on one more mile than another and then you'll be there. Even if you only get to 11 miles before the half, no worries. Adrealine will push you through the last 2 miles.

    You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete