Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ravenswood 5K

Statistics:

Distance: 5K/3.1 miles
Time: 33:10

Stats/Track Map


Observations:

Well, if nothing else, this was the most convenient race I've ever run in my life. I step out the front gate of my apartment, take a left, walk 3 blocks, and I'm at the starting line. Also, the home stretch of the race goes right past my apartment, which is kind of cool.

The temperature was mid 50's and overcast. The forecast also called for a chance of rain, but that didn't happen, which was nice. For some reason, I thought it would feel colder than it did. Consequently, I dressed a little warmer than I should have, but not terribly uncomfortably. One less layer would have been ideal.

The course was nice - mostly residential streets with only a brief jaunt onto Irving Park. I do think, though, that the combination of overcast skies and tree-lined streets didn't treat my GPS very well. If you look at the course, the second half was a bit wonky. The GPS says I ran 2.93 miles, but that's obviously wrong. Sadly, that means I didn't get a split time on my third mile, which was when I decided to turn up the pace. If I calculated correctly, based on the 10:25 it took for the last 1.1 miles, I think I ran about a 9:30 final mile, which is pretty cool. And all of that before 9:00 AM.


Street Shout-outs:

Shout-outs to Fuzzy and Erica, who I saw on the course somewhere on Leland during mile 2, and also to Becky, who I ran into at the finish line. Also, shout-outs to all my friends who ran the race but who I didn't happen to see. I know there were several of you out there, based on your Facebook status updates.


Next:

3 or 4 miles on Tuesday, though I'm gonna check in with my knees in the next couple of days to make sure things are ok. I'm shifting the long runs to the weekends when I'll have more time, so next long run will be next weekend. Probably Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. Hey!
    Thanks for the shout out!

    I just found your blog from your Gchat status--this is awesome! I am so impressed.

    We are running the Get Your Rear In Gear 5K in Oak Park tomorrow. Are you?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, tomorrow is a rest day for me. My next race is the Soldier Field 10-mile on Saturday. I can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to be awesome! I'll be there to cheer on Fuzzy, so I will cheer for you, too!

    ReplyDelete